Thursday, January 28, 2010

Obama's State of the Union Predictions

President Barack Obama did not disappoint those making bets on his State of the Union address topics. He continued to urge congress to pass his health care bill. “I didn’t take on health care because it was good politics,” Obama said. He says it needed to be done.

He brought up of one of his big campaign promises – the end of the war in Iraq. “As a candidate, I promised that I would end this war, and that is what I am doing as president,” he said. “Make no mistake: this war is ending and all of our troops are coming home.”

The beginning of solving America’s problems, according to the president, is stabilizing the economy. His answer to that, at least for now, is to take some of the money from Wall Street and give it back to Main Street. “I’m proposing that we take $30 billion of the money Wall Street banks have repaid and use it to help community banks give small businesses the credit they need to stay afloat,” Obama said.

1 comment:

  1. He did continue to urge Congress to pass his health care bill, but did it surprise you the little time he spent talking about it? I imagined that with all the hype surrounding it that the president would have made it a bigger deal. I was surprised, but relieved at the same time. The economy, in return, dominated his speech. It also surprised me that he talked about certain lesser important issues, such as problems between the two parties, before he announced his strategy with the war. But maybe that was his way of bringing the speech home.

    ReplyDelete